10:00 - I picked up Joel and Erika from Mom's house. The car was full at the time, as Kelly, Tatum, Tally (dog), and Cooper (cat) were loaded up to come to my house.
10:30 - 5 bipedal primates (4 kids and me) cart off to Petco to fulfill Erika's Christmas wish/present... she wanted a snake.
11:30 - We (4 children, 1 adult, 1 baby corn snake in a small, fold-apart Petco box) begin the journey 4 miles from Petco to my house.
11:38 - Erika screams. The snake is half-way out of the bottom of the fold-apart Petco box.
11:39 - I pull over to the side of the road and try to wrangle the snake (still unnamed) back into the box. I fail. The snake escapes, drops into the doorwell, and out onto the street when I try to open the door to grab him/her (how do you tell?) I grab the snake from the street, try to get him back into the box, and he falls to the floor of the vehicle.
11:44 - We arrive home, and each begins searching our floor space for the escapee. No luck.
12:26 - The search continues, but more passively. We are all inside, and occasionally I go out to see if I can see the young animal.
12:33 - Joel begins a guided tour of YouTube videos detailing snakes eating various animals. This started because Tatum was curious about why I was thawing a frozen rat, and how the tiny snake was going to ingest it.
12:39 - Ummm... here's the part I'm not convinced is a good idea. There is a thawed rat on a plate in the front floor of the car, waiting for a snake to want to eat it. When the snake is full of fresh-frozen rat, I will capture it, bring it into the house, and call it a pet.
That's the plan, at least. I can see one or two ways this plan might fail, but we're not going to allow our mind to ponder those yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment